Sunday, January 23, 2011

January 23, 2011

Dear Eliza,

I had a really nice experience last week. At actually began the Sunday before. Two Sundays ago, Bishop Lomenick asked us to fast for the Thomas family. Little Riley was born with Apert's Syndrome. (I didn't know the name for it then, but I've looked it up on line since and Sister Marcia Stewart confirmed to me that's what it is last week.) I was saying my personal prayers some time during the week after that, and the thought came to me, What would I say if I were asked to pray in church? So I continued my prayer concerning the Thomas family and was led to pray very specific things. Then last Sunday as a walked into the chapel, Brother Sinsel greeted me and he seemed to hesitate. I had the feeling that he was thinking of asking me to say the opening prayer, but he didn't. After I sat down, Bishop Lomenick and Brother Sinsel were talking on the stand. I heard the Bishop say, "Well, there's Heidi." After that Bishop Lomenick walked down and said, "Since your son isn't here, can you say the opening prayer." John was there; he just hadn't entered the chapel yet. So I was able to vocalize a clear and meaningful prayer, still being led by the Spirit to know what to ask for this family. I am so glad for the experience.

Another nice happening: I talked to my sister Kathy during the week. We didn't hide the fact that her body is being taken over by her cancer. I told her that I'd said to John how thankful I am that she could see Spencer get married and spend time with her grandson. Then I'd said how sad I was to think that she might not (or probably won't) be at her daughters' weddings. (This thought brings tears to my eyes every time I think it.) John's replay was that I might not be here for any of my children's weddings. That's true. Life is uncertain. Kathy told me that she was certain that she would find ways to be a part of her children's lives. And I know that is true. She will often be with them.

Kathy told me that Cindy is having a hard time watching her go through this and remembering her mother dying of cancer when she was a little girl. We talked about how this is affecting both family and friends. Ted, a friend of Kathy's, saw Grandpa in the temple. He expressed how sad he was that Kathy has to go through this. Later, he told Kathy that Grandpa looked grief-stricken. Then he said that it isn't right; he's already buried a son; he shouldn't have to lose another child. That is so sad. I know that Grandma is likewise grief-stricken, so remember them in your prayers.

I don't think that we ever fully know in this life what a profound effect our lives have on others. The world is constantly changing with the births and deaths of each individual. Truly we are children of God, and our lives are not only important to Him, but to everyone we come in contact with. Kathy is indeed loved and will be missed.

Yesterday I was looking at photos of Stephen Elliott. He is my second cousin. His mother Pearl is Billy Brennan's sister. They are children of Olive McGee Brennan who is Nana's (Pearl McGee Jamison) sister. Nana, of course, is your grandmother's mother. Anyhow, as I looked at Stephen, I saw a strong resemblance to Ed. Stephen is near 40 now, the age at which Ed passed away. Dad said that I told him before that Ed has a lot of McGee in him. So I guess he really does and that he was named correctly: Edward McGee Sommerfeld.

So last Sunday was a good day. We had a good fast. After that I came home and made homemade rolls and chicken cooked in rice-a-roni. It was a good day.

Monday was a holiday, but Christine still worked on school, and mainly it felt like another Saturday because we all just got caught up on things that we needed to do: cleaning and such. Dad ran some errands. Dad barbecued chicken in the evening. We had family night early; then Tom went to a young adult family night as well. He had a good time.

I am also crocheting a blanket for Christine. So I've worked on that throughout the week. I'm about half way done. It is a busy project.

Tuesday everyone was back to work and back to school. It is so much easier to do homeschooling without the crowd. Tuesday evening, I drove Barbara Staffo's grandson Lawrence to YM/YW since I was taking Christine anyhow. I picked up some skirts from Barbara that needed new elastic in them. She said that she won't come to church umtil she has a skirt to wear, and she didn't want to buy any new ones. She gave me three that need elastic, and I returned one of them when I took Lawrence home; so, hopefully she will come to church now. We'll see.

Tom is getting tired of just having classes all day long on Tuesday and Thursday and no job the other days. He was really discouraged last night. I hope he finds something soon. But I can't remember anything out of the ordinary last Wednesday.

Thursday Tom had classes of course, but John took the day off work. Christine did some school in the morning and took a chemistry test, then John, Christine, and I went to Disneyland for a few hours. We spent our time in California Adventure and only went to Disneyland to get the pineapple ice cream. Then we went on Buzz Lightyear before we left. It was a really pleasant day. And it was nice to leave the strong winds behind us for a very light breeze. Nothing was crowded. It was really a pleasant day.

Friday Tom watched Jordan all day. He stayed at Muwwakkils' all morning while Christine did some schoolwork and took her World Studies final. She got an 88%, plus she is supposed to recieve 10 extra credit points for taking the test on time. If she does, she'll have a 99% in the class instead of a 98%. Hahaha.

After lunch and Tom and Jordan coming over, we all went to Ford Park. I videoed Christine and Jordan feeding the ducks. Tom and John just stayed on the lower field to play ball. After videoing for a while, I fed the ducks, too. It was a lot of fun. Then Jordan and Christine ran the length of that big lawn and back. Then your brothers played catch with the football, Christine kicked around a soccer ball, and Jordan took a rest. I had fun taking still pictures of action. I think some of them turned out really well, too. When we returned from the park, Tom took Jordan back to his house until his parents returned. That was good.

Friday, nothing too new. School. Dad and I ate at Dickey's, a good Texas barbecue place. It's just so necessary for us to get away alone for a couple hours now and then. I'm so thankful that it is a habit.

Saturday, I cleaned the kitchen a few times. I cooked our huge chub of ground turkey. I made some shepherd's pie for Saturday dinner and some enchilda casserole for Sunday's. I gave myself a needed haircut, and I also gave Dad a haircut. Tom went out with a girl, just to Starbucks, to just chat and catch up. John had class all day long. I think hed also stayed up really late Friday to get his homework all finished. So he was tired.

John did a great job teaching us how to waltz. I didn't know that he was such a good dance instructor, but he did a really fine job. I will now be able to follow Dad's lead so much better. Not a lot of people came, but everyone who did was involved and had a great time. Brother Muwwakkil was there late to set up because no one had actually asked him to be the DJ. But he was really gracious and is willing to do it just as a service every month. Awesome. After the instruction was over, people were free to visit or dance how they wanted. John left at that point because he was really tired.

Tom didn't go, and I wish he would have. He didn't want to go without a date, but John had us keep rotating partners so that we would really learn it and help each other. Christine didn't want to go either, but Lilly Florez was there, so I sent Dad back home to pick Christine up. She had a great time. (So she left her French final half finished. I'm glad. The French program allows you to open and close the program without being locked out. She can't do that in tests in other classes.) I also got some video coverage and pictures last night.

That brings us to the present. I'm glad Sunday dinner is already arranged. Brandon Spellacy is speaking in our ward today, and Tom is speaking in the single's ward.

Thanks for sharing your excitement of ring hunting. I hope that you both have a wonderful semester. Stay prayerful and happy and enjoy this time in your life, wherever it leads you.

I love you so much, my little Dolly.

Talk to you soon.

Love,

Mom

Dear Cathy,

(Same Letter different ending)

It's been good to talk to you a little more lately. I really do love you so much, and you are in our thoughts and prayers. I hope that you have a wonderful new week. Let me know the exciting things that you are doing.

Talk to you soon.

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment