Sunday, January 30, 2011

January 30, 2011

Dear Cathy,

It's been a good week. Even amidst some goofy squabbles, misunderstandings, or dealing with (or not being able to deal with) the way the young men in the house think, I have wakened each morning happy and excited about life. It is a great life and a wonderful time to be alive. I love it!

It is fun to be able to talk to you or text you whenever. It is such a neat opportunity. We didn't have anything like that when we were young. Long distance calling was kept to a minimum. So I love the technological advantages of today.

As I write these letters each week, I switch off whom I write to first. The first week I goofed and forgot to readdress the letter to Eliza. But you both need to know that I try to write to each of you while thinking of you and not just writing my journal. I guess it's three birds with one stone.

Last Sunday was a fairly normal day, except that Tom got to give his homecoming talk in the single's ward. In our ward, Brandon Spellacy gave his homecoming address. So it was good to see the Spellacy family. Brandon has grown so much. (No he isn't a lot taller. 6'7" is tall enough.) He isn't the same shy boy he was when he left. I then taught Gospel Principles. After that we went to the single's ward to hear both Tom and Brandon speak again. Only Christine stayed at our ward because she loves YW. We all received tickets for the Gladys Knight fireside, but none of us have found anyone to take with. I'm not sure what to do about that. John and Tom have four tickets for this afternoon, and we have five for tonight. Maybe we'll give the four away and just go together this evening, even though that wasn't the purpose of the fireside. I think that sometimes it really is the active members that need the upliftment and strengthening.

Monday, Christine helped out at the library again. I crocheted. She also took her Chemistry final. The boys went to Bishop Anderson's house for family night, but they said only the older adult leaders talked to them. So that's too bad. Dad, Christine, and I had family night here.

Tuesday, Christine took both her Pre-Calculus final and she finished her French final. So that gave us a free day on Wednesday! She went to YW as well and had a good time.

Wednesday, we all went to Disneyland, except Dad worked. Tom and John spent the day together, and Christine and I were glad to have some time to ourselves. We all enjoyed the day. The ride home was a different story. Everyone was tired. Christine was able to trade a couple of pins in the park. That was fun. She also bought a stuffed animal. Yes, another. (She gathered up all the soda bottles and cans on Tuesday afternoon and cashed them in for $20 Wednesday morning.) I applied for a Chase card in Downtown Disney, and because I qualified, I was given a $50 gift card there on the spot. I'll use it on another day. ;-)

Dad and I went to the 7 a.m. session at the temple. It's early, but that is probably what we will do most often from now on. He is up that early every day anyhow, and he's not too late to work that way. It felt good to go to the temple. We were also the witness couple. It was neat to stand in the prayer circle. Each time I've gone lately, the officiator has prayed for those who are sick and afflicted to get well. I've had Aunt Kathy's name on the prayer roll. Later, I was telling Gail Purcell about that, and I said I don't know if that's supposed to make me feel hopeful or not.; She said that it should let me know that Kathy will not be taken one day before her time. I believe that she is absolutely right. Wisdom.

Christine helped out at the library on Thursday since we were at Disneyland on Wednesday. I talked to Aunt Kathy on our drive there. After dropping Christine off, I decided to pop in on Gail. Her cell phone is temporarily disconnected, and I wanted to make sure that she is okay. So we visited for a while. I shared what is going on at our household and she offered more wisdom. Plus I was able to offer insights into her concerns as well. We had a really good visit. Before going to her house, I had taken all of my loose change to the bank and cashed it in for $26. So I convinced Gail to let me take her to lunch. Christine went with us as well. We ate at Coco's and visited some more. I really love Sister Purcell.; She is a wonderful person. She has been a caregiver for so many years: first to her parents; then to Mike's parents; and now to her brother Marty. Plus, she is a wonderful Grandma. So that takes a lot of time and energy.

In the late afternoon, I went to Barbara Staffo's house and met the missionaries there. I played a game of Wii bowling with Lawrence. (He is 14 now.) Then we taught him a first discussion. He is committed for baptism the first Saturday in March, and then he can be confirmed the next day, Fast Sunday, in church. His school teacher came by while we were there to talk to his older brother Juan. He then told me and the missionaries that he'd heard what we were teaching and that he is a believer. He told Lawrence to sit up tall and listen to us and to do what we told him to do that day. So that was a wonderful and helpful support. (Maybe the missionaries will have an opportunity to teach him as well.)

Friday, was a good day. Christine was able to do so much of her school work in her room. She was happier that way. So, thank you, Cathy, for the laptop. I spent the morning listening to the Gospel of Matthew online while I printed up the first units from Christine's classes and planned a schedule for her for the next couple of weeks. We could just go by the teachers', but it is so much better to be a little ahead so that there is breathing room. Tom babysat Jordan again, but they stayed at Muwwakkils' all day. I also gave Sharon Cady a haircut. Tami Nogueroles was at her place as well to help her with a shower, so I trimmed Tami's hair as well. It felt good to do something.

John and Tom went to see the new Tron movie in the late afternoon. So Dad and I took Christine to dinner with us. We ate at Cafe de Rio. Christine had a burrito, Dad had fish tacos, and I had the special which was Mexican pasta. I could only eat half or under, but it was very good. Then we went to Barnes and Noble. That was so much fun. Christine loves to draw. They had a couple of bins full of $2 books. They had both Halloween and Christmas drawing prompt books, so we got her one of each. We also three extras for friends.

Saturday was yesterday. Wow. That was a fast week. I made waffles for breakfast, swept and washed all the floors, and cleaned the bathrooms. Dad did the laundry and ironing and watched a Bob Dylan concert. Tom did a lot of studying. Christine did a couple of chores as well. The boys exercised and played basketball.

And this morning, I'm writing my letters.

I hope that you had a good week, Cathy, and that this next one will be even better. Did you go to the recital last night? If so, how was it? What are you looking forward to in the new week? I know that you'll do wonderfully well in your new class. I hope that you are still enjoying work as well, and I hope that the air quality will improve this week.

I love you so much.
Be happy and clap your hands.

Love,

Mom

Dear Eliza,

Same letter

And this morning, I'm writing my letters.

I hope that you had a good week, Eliza, and that this next one will be even better. The picture of the ring you sent me is very beautiful. Thanks for sharing your excitement with me. This is really a fun time of life. Enjoy it. Stay close to the Spirit, and always heed His promptings. Keep me informed.

I love you so much.
Be happy and clap your hands.

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment